Two quick things:
We just passed 200 audience reviews this morning. Keep up the good work, everyone.
If that's any indication of traffic (and it is), our servers have been getting slammed. We know the site's sometimes down and other times slow, but we're working like little IT woodchucks to solve the problem. Thanks for your patience.
Fringe Weekend! Over the next two days, you could see up to 14 shows. Do you realize how much theatre that is? Fourteen! Not everyone can pull off a Big Day at the Fringe, and fewer still can do it two days in a row. Manage it, and you'll earn the respect and admiration of all those around you at Fringe Central. Especially if you're buying.
Some tips on seeing every show this weekend:
1. Have a plan. Plot out the shows you want to see (online or in the Fringe program), but also have a backup plan in case the show you want is sold out. Better yet, reserve your tickets at UptownTix.com and make sure you have a seat.
2. Food and drink. No time for a sit-down meal, bring along something tasty and nutritious that won't make you loagy as you stand in line for your next show. Hey! There are quick-serve sammiches at Fringe Central! Poifect. If you're going to be walking or biking outside, make sure that you're replacing not just the water you're losing, but the nutrients as well. And have a hat. You always need a good hat. And call your mother, she misses you.
3. Don't be afraid to eavesdrop on conversations about shows. Word of Mouth is still the best Fringe buzz there is (though our online audience reviews are helpful, too).
4. Review what you've seen! Talk it up at Fringe Central* and post a review online.
5. Come to the Kids' Ice Cream Social (today from noon to 3 p.m.) and/or the Fringe Opening Night party (starting at 10 tonight)! Wear your ticket stubs with pride, enter our giveaway drawings and soak it all in!
* "Fringe Central: The Great Watering Hole of the Fringe, Only Without Any Crocodiles or Dysentary."**
Photo du jour
"Numbers Up" presented by John Leo at the Minneapolis Theatre Garage (Photo: Kevin McLaughlin)
Days 1 + 2 winners: How's this for metropolitan harmony? Three winners from St. Paul, three from Minneapolis: Catherine Campion, Keith Hardy, Jasmine Rust, Cheryl Hulting, Katie Hartman and Tracy Nordby all won one pound of yummy Equal Exchange coffee. Mmmm!
Stop by Fringe Central to put your name in the hat (or the, uh, box) to win coffee, an Equal Exchange gift basket or the Ultra Prize: Two '09 Ultra Passes and two season tickets to the Guthrie! (Drawing's on Sun., Aug. 10. Stop by Fringe Central to sign up and check out the rules.)
Today: Sunny and warm, 87°. 30% chance of storms tonight; low 68°. Balmy!
Sunday: 30% chance of storms. High: 89°. At night, a 40% chance of storms; low: 70°.
Monday: 40% chance of storms (c'mon, rain! beat those odds!). High: 88°. Low: 65°.
P.S. Here's your Easter Egg for the day. (Many of us on the staff have angry, angry kitties at home. "Where have you been?" they say. "You smell like the theatre!" Cats always use British spellings.)